When I used a lip balm back then, my lips always felt dry after, so I had to re-apply over and over again. (Nivea, Lypsyl, Lip medex, Labello, Balea, etc.) I was wondering why. Then I realized: those lip balms contain petrolatum, paraffin and mineral oil which actually create a lip balm addiction without moisturizing. These ingredients dry out your lips, creating more need for their product. The result: dry lips and lip balm addiction.
Menthol, camphor, phenol or alcohols ingredients are used "to make the consumer think something is happening." says Paula Begoun, author of The Beauty Bible (Beginning Press, 2002). These lip balm ingredients aren't helping your lips, they are drying them and worsening the chance of lips cracking, peeling or bleeding.
Personally I think we shouldn't use lip balm every day, because our lips will get use to it and the basal layer will not produce new cells.
You can say now "but if I stop using lip balm, my lips feel dry again". Yes, it's because you use the lip balm a lot and your lip "forgot" to produce new cells. Don't apply lip balm and within 3 days your lips will recover by themselves and be fine.
I use lip balm just when I need protection (e.g. against cold).
I got Burt's Bee Rejuvenating lip balm with acai berry for Christmas and I said I will give it a try, because the ingredients looked fine.
It makes my lips soft and when it absorbs, my lips are moisturized and I don't feel I have to re-apply again. When my lips were cracking and it was burning because of the wind, I applied this Burt's Bee lip balm. Few hours later my lips were healed.
When I apply it's smooth, feels good and I really like the smell too.
helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, cera alba (beeswax, cire d’abeille), aroma (flavor)*, ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, lanolin, euterpe oleracea fruit oil**, ammonium glycyrrhizinate, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, tocopherol, glycine soja (soybean) oil, canola oil (huile de colza), anise alcohol, benzyl benzoate, benzyl cinnamate, citral, farnesol, limonene, linalool. *natural flavor/arôme naturel **açaí berry/baies d’açaï
I highlighted some ingredients that I don't really like and I am telling you why.
The lanolin is not the fat of the sheep, but the layer fat of the clipped wool. Not the lanolin (wool fat) is the allergenic, but that chemical that was used to dissolve the fat from the wool. In many cases, lanolin could be contaminated with other plants.
It is a colorless to slightly yellow liquid having a pleasant floral odor. It is non-natural-allergenic fragrances.
It is a synthetic chemical used as a fragrance ingredient, artificial flavor, preservative, and solvent. This ingredient has been shown to irritate the skin with some individuals, and should be avoided by those with a perfume allergy. In Europe, it is listed as an "allergenic" substance and the European Cosmetics Directive requires OTC leave-on products to indicate its presence, even at concentrations of .001%.
From Drugs.com, the side effects of medical-strength benzyl benzoate are blister formation, crusting, itching, oozing, reddening, or scaling of skin.
It's a fragrance ingredient. It is an ester of benzyl alcohol and cinnamic acid. According to EU Banned and Restricted Fragrances, benzyl cinnamate is possible human immune system toxicant. Recommended restricted in cosmetics. It is allergenic.
Citral is present in the oils of several plants. It is an aroma compound used in perfumery for its citrus effect. Citral is also used as a flavor and for fortifying lemon oil. It also has strong antimicrobial qualities. It should be avoided by people with perfume allergies.
It is synthesized from plants, however it's not a plant extract, because the substance is not subtracted by pressing, distillation, or soaking, but chemically.
It can trigger allergic reactions.
Same as Limonene.
From which plant (if it's from plant)? The labesl doesn't say it, thus it could be a synthetic flavor which taste like natural.
Overall this is a good product, it works fine for me. When I didn't pay attention, my dog chewed it and ate almost all of it. (Probably he liked the sweet taste of it.) He didn't get sick, so it's a good sign. As you can see it on the picture, this is what's left.
I really like the smell of it. I recommend this product.
I am not affiliated with this company. I purchased this product myself for personal use unless otherwise noted. My opinion is completely honest and based on my own experience.
Source: natural medicine, truth in aging, chemicals of the day.